Probate is the court-managed proceeding where assets are retitled and distributed according to a will or state law if the person passed away without a will. The probate process can be time-consuming, frustrating, and difficult in addition to the stress and grief of coping with the loss of a loved one.
Fortunately, you do not have to go through this complicated process alone. The experienced attorneys of Krigel & Krigel, P.C., are here to guide you and your family through the proceeding with sensitivity and compassion. No two probate estates are alike, yet many will involve the following elements:
- A petition is filed with the proper Missouri or Kansas probate court to open the estate
- Notice is given to heirs under the will or, if no will exists, to statutory heirs
- A petition is filed to appoint an executor or administrator for the estate
- The executor or administrator performs an inventory and appraisal of the estate assets
- Payment of estate debt is made to rightful creditors
- Estate assets are sold, if necessary
- Estate taxes are paid, if applicable
- The final distribution of assets is made to heirs
Some estates are small enough that the full probate process isn’t necessary, but certain probate work is still required. We can also help with those situations to handle them as smoothly as possible. On the other hand, should heirs find themselves at odds with each other or with the personal representative, our litigation team has the experience to handle those matters as well.
Our attorneys can help you establish the legal documents to keep your estate out of probate. However, if probate is necessary, we will help you navigate the process to ensure that a loved one’s estate is properly distributed.